Monday, July 14, 2014

StaffordorffatS

Querida Familia,

     My heart is just breaking because of the bad news from home. I'm so sad to hear that Louise passed away. I really truly love that woman and I hope she's found peace and rest in spirit paradise! It just hurts knowing that I won't be able to see her again in this life. This is what I was most afraid of when I left--that someone wouldn't be there when I got home. And I'm so sorry to hear about Robert's dad. I don't know him very well, but Robert is one of the greatest men I've ever met. I'm so grateful for the influence he is in our family, and it hurts to know that his family has to face this trial. I'm grateful for the knowledge that we have that families are forever.

     I don't really feel like writing all that much, but I promised Dad at the beginning of my mission that I would always write home so that Mommy doesn't get sad.

     We had a super busy week! And this upcoming week looks even busier! We met with Yuri again, who was a former from last summer. She said that this time around she really wants to know for herself if it's true. She's read a bit from el Libro de Mormon, and she said that she wants it to be true because she likes what she's learned. We also saw Porfiria again. Her husband isn't interested, but she said she wants to keep meeting with us. We did some "How to Begin Teaching" with her to understand why she keeps receiving us. She said she likes to learn more about "la Palabra" which is "the Word." We discussed the importance of acting on what we teach, and not just being acted upon.

     For those preparing to go on a mission, How to Begin Teaching is SUPER important! You can find it in chapter 10 of PMG. We use it at the beginning of every lesson. Investigators need to understand our purpose as a missionaries.

     This past week we've spent a lot of time with the recent convert Monica, who we spent the 4th with. She's a single Mom, but Dad is still involved with the family and really helpful. We talked about how she needs to create a vision for her family of what she wants them to achieve. Next, she needs to develop some family goals and family plans. By doing this, she can protect her family from evil influences. I have learned so much on my mission the importance of this process: vision, goals, plans.

     On Friday we spent a couple hours helping Brenda. She's Hispanic, but attends the Aquia Ward. She got married a little under a year ago. He works for the Secret Service and was in Brazil the past 6 weeks helping out with Mundial. She also went to Mexico to visit her family for 4 weeks. They haven't done a lot of decorating, and she was hoping to finish that and do some cleaning before he gets home. It was a lot of fun, but involved some heavy lifting. The physical therapy has strengthened my lower back, but I still feel a lot of pain in my shoulder blades, etc. BUT, the point is, she asked us, "how am I supposed to know how to decorate?" And the planning process came to my mind--it's so easy! Just start with a vision, set some goals, and make a plan! It can apply to making a family/personal constitution, weekly planning, decorating your home, and more! In high school I was always super stressed out because I loved doing as much as possible. Now that I really know how to plan, I feel capable of doing even more! God is the master planner. Good planning makes us more like Him!

     We had interviews with President Wilson this past week. I was really nervous for them. I think I've just been a little disappointed with my lack-of-relationship with my Mission President. We have a 10 minute personal interview with him every three months. Which is understandable, considering there are nearly 300 missionaries in this mission. We talked about my testimony and area and family. He asked if I wanted to know what I'd be doing in the next few months. Then he pulled out the list of incoming/outgoing Hermanas for the next three transfers. In two weeks, only Hermana Penaloza goes home, but there are 6 Hermanas coming in. In the following transfer, 1 will leave and 8 will come in. And then the one after that, 3 will leave and 6 will come in. And after early December, I will be the "oldest" Hermana until I go home in April (and I will also be the only Hermana going home that transfer). SO, there will be lots of changes in the Spanish program! A lot more areas will be opened and I'll have more opportunies to lead and train! Hermana Penaloza has done a lot to help me prepare for this.

     Anyway, at the end of the interview he asked if there was anything I needed. I said no. Then he said, "Whenever I'm with you, I feel like there's something bothering you. Or that you feel you can't open up the way that you want to." Something to that effect. I told him everything was fine and now have felt frustrated about it all week. I don't know what it is I want. I'm worthy, I'm working hard, I'm happy, I'm growing and learning and changing and becoming better. Maybe I'm just frustrated that he's not a big part of it like I imagined? I can't comprehend how the Savior can love each of us so individually and perfectly when there are billions and billions of us--but somehow he does it.

     This month I've been studying the Christlike attribute of charity! We were teaching this family that was really difficult. It seemed like all they wanted to do was Bible bash, but they kept inviting us back. Two weeks ago when we taught them, I left my own copy of el Libro de Mormon with them because we forgot to bring a spare copy. It's the one that Mady and Clarissa gave me for my 19th birthday. I haven't marked it up a lot because I've been waiting for Spanish scriptures, but it is pretty special to me. We said we'd bring a different copy for our lesson last night. The lesson last night was so sad. One of the family members had looked up anti material online. We decided to close the lesson. Hermana Penaloza shared her testimony and we were going to leave. She was about to try and switch the Libros so that I could have my own and they could keep the new copy, but I told her not to. We closed with a prayer and left. I had the feeling that I didn't love these people enough. They tore us down, mocked what we believed, and one of them even told us she was ready for us to leave. It's so easy for me to love people like Porfiria and Yuri, but I need to love this family more. So I left my Libro de Mormon with them. And we'll probaby never see them again, but I know that I left something really special to me there.

     And I did get Spanish scriptures this week!

     Lastly I just want to share what I've been learning about self-control. P-day was my least favorite day last week because I had a hard time focusing Monday night. It's really hard not being there with Claire (my new baby niece). So on Tuesday I began a "40-day-fast" which I learned from Sister Miller. I put away pictures of my family and letters I've received (no offense...). I've also given up candy, memorized my favorite Spanish hymn, Divina Luz (Lead Kindly Light), and I'm focusing more on speaking Spanish outside the apartment. And I'm going to fast every Sunday until I finish the 40-day-fast. This past week I was way more focused than ever! On Sunday, Hermano Messinger was teaching in Gospel Principles about the Spirit World. It will be hard for people who had addictions to overcome them in the Spirit World. But I think this applies to all natural man tendencies. We need to learn to have self-control over our bodies in this life so that while we're in the Spirit World, we won't be distracted by insatiable desires. I don't have all my notes with me, but I learned A TON. I'm also at the point where I think I learn as much in Spanish as I do in English.

I love you all so much. I hope you have a great week!
Love,  Hermanita Crandall

*P.S. from Sarah's Mom... here is a reminder of her current address!!
Sister Sarah Crandall
8 Ferguson Dr. #201
Stafford, VA  22554

No comments:

Post a Comment