Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Tropical Storm in Stafford!

Querida Familia,

     Apparently a hurricane hit North Carolina this week? We haven't heard that much about it, but we did have a tropical storm--sort of. We slept through it :)

     I had a wonderful week here in Stafford, as I have for the past 40 weeks. And do you know what that means? I hit my half-way mark!!!!!!!!!! (40/80.) I've had mixed emotions about it all. I love my mission and I want it to last forever, but I'm also missing the fam right now with Claire joining us and all. For now I'm just enjoying my mission and working as hard as I can every day!

     On Tuesday, we had District Meeting and I was asked to give a training on accountability. Being me and all, when I hear accountability, I think about accounting. I took the basic accounting equation and related it to missionary work! As long as we make the Savior our business partner, we can always stand blameless before the Grand Auditor! I wrote a letter to Millie last week about it, if you want to see more.
Sisters at Zone Olympics
Four-legged Race

      We were able to see Porfiria again! We started reading from the Libro de Mormon with her. She's really timid, so it's difficult to discern her needs and her understanding. She seems to like our visits, and she's progressing half the time. Unfortunately, when we stopped by for our next appointment with her husband, she said that he doesn't want us to come anymore :( She said we can keep visiting her earlier in the day when he's not home, but it's hard to tell if she's just trying to be nice because this woman is very shy. Hopefully she'll keep learning, because I have a special place in my heart for her!

     Another woman I just love is Hermana Carmen. She is the Grandma of the three little boys I taught while I was in Accokeek! I don't know if you remember them...their Dad won't let them get baptized, but they can learn from the missionaries. Sister Olsen and I would visit them every Wednesday! Well, now I get to visit their Grandma, who is less active. She has a really strong testimony, she just fell out of habit of attending church. We taught her the Plan de Salvacion this week to help her set some eternal goals. While teaching, I felt the Spirit really strong. I have a huge testimony of the plan that God has created for our lives. It's not complicated. We only have to do our part and then God has promised to give us all that He has. We also had dinner with her last night to celebrate Hermana Penaloza's birthday! She made Chiles Rellenos and it was SO DELICIOUS. And super easy. Mom, Dad, you will be blown away when I get home. I'm going to make some pretty amazing dishes. 

     For the 4th of July, we had a big combined breakfast with the Stafford Spanish Branch, Aquia Ward, and Accokeek Ward! All of my Keek Peeps were there! The Fishers, the Fortiers, everyone! Brother Burlew took me aside to let me know that the McNary family is getting baptized! I don't think I ever wrote about them, but they were a family friend of the Burlew family. Sister Olsen and I only visited them 2 or 3 times before they moved to Texas, but we convinced them to let us send missionaries over there to visit them. When I heard they were getting baptized, I almost started crying! I'm so happy! :)

     Anyway, not much time left. But we had a great day:) We had dinner with la familia Santiago (recent converts) to celebrate Hermana Penaloza's birthday. And then we went home to do weekly planning. But we ran out just in time to see some neighbors doing fireworks:)

I love you all so much!:)

Hermanita Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment