Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Una Sorpresa de eStafford!

*Sorry there was snow yesterday and all the libraries were closed!

Querida Familia,

     Surprise! Guess who's back in Stafford?  (PS Hispanics say "eStafford" because they can't say S with a consonant after it without an E at the front... eStafford, eSpotsylvania, Espanol, Espalda, etc.)

     On Monday after emailing, my companions and I met up with some other sisters at Olive Garden for lunch for Sister Brady's birthday (she's in the Chickahominy Ward). About an hour after, we were just window shopping when we received a call from President Wilson. He asked me to step outside the store for some privacy. He asked, "are you willing to go where the Lord needs you?" I answered yes. He then told me that I was going to be emergency transferred to the Stafford Spanish Rama (Branch). I asked why--not because I didn't want to or I needed a reason, but because I hoped it wasn't because we were having companionship struggles. It ends up that another Hermana went home early for medical reasons.

     The following morning, Brother and Sister Chuntz, a senior couple, picked me up to take me to my new area! I'm serving in the Stafford Rama, but my area covers Fredericksburg (yes, THE Fredericksburg!) and parts of Spotsylvania County. After Christmas, a lot of Hermanas went home. A couple of Spanish areas, including Fredericksburg, were closed. It was opened back up again right after Valentine's day. If I hadn't been switched to Spanish at the time that I was, it would have been closed again.

     My new companion is Hermana Agurcia (ahh-GUR-see-uhh). She's also a Temple Square Sister! She's from San Pedro Sula Honduras and has been out for about 7 months. She's a really hard worker, speaks perfect Spanish and English, and a great cook!

     The apartment is awesome. Look up my address on Googlemap. We basically live on Mary Washington University campus. We have beautiful French doors and a balcony. It faces a huge student housing complex that looks a lot like New Heritage. Sometimes in the mornings, we go running on campus. If you Google Mary Washington, you'll see that it has a huge bridge that crosses Jefferson Davis Hwy. We run across that:)
     Amidst all of this excitement, I am SO EXHAUSTED. In the past month I moved, was switched to Spanish, had a difficult companion, had two companions, and then I was moved again. All of this new is really stressing me out. Transfer calls are on Saturday and I REALLY hope that I can stay in Fredericksburg for the next six weeks. I saw Sister Olsen at District Meeting (she's my Sister Training Leader now!!) and we chatted for a bit. She said that she and her companion sent recommendations to President Wilson about who should be transferred, and they recommended to him that I stay in Fredericksburg. Ojala:)

     Anyway, a lot has happened since I arrived. I loved Mechanicsville, but it was a very difficult area for learning Spanish. I'm so grateful for all the help I received from Hna. Depablos! Hna. Agurcia has also been really helpful. We made a rule that between the hours of 9 and 9, we speak only in Spanish. It's difficult, and I don't talk near as much as I normally do, but it's helped me realize how much Spanish I DO know. I'm really good at formulating sentences and I'm slowly picking up more vocabulary! I finally feel like I'm at the point where I have enough Spanish to function. Now I can start studying more grammar concepts. 

     In Spanish Branches, they really do feed you SO MUCH FOOD. We showed up for dinner at one woman's home, and I couldn't believe how big my bowl of soup was. It looked like she had put the serving bowl in front of me. And then the Hispanics smile and say things like "sientense, COMA." And then you say things back like, "estoy llena, pero es muy rico!" And then they say "COMA MAS." And then you eat more. At this particular woman's home, she had a friend over...who is a Testigo de Jehova (or JW). After dinner, Hermana Agurcia styled the member's hair, to which the amiga said, "en casa de herrero, cochillo de palo." I didn't understand it when she said it, but Hna. Agurcia explained it to me in the car. The amiga said, "in the house of a blacksmith, knife of wood." This basically means: you help everyone but yourself. She also told Hna. Agurcia that she should begin with my hair. Yes, this Testigo insulted our hair :( I was depressed for weeks.

     Another funny dinner story. We were eating at a recently returning member's home who is single. She made me eat too much. In the car, I told Hna. Agurcia that my stomach hurt. She said that hers did too, and asked me how much of the grape juice I had. I don't even like grape juice, but the member poured me a glass. After I finished, she poured me a second glass. I finished both. Hna. Agurcia then explained that she checked the juice and it expired on September 27, 2000. I've never wanted so badly to throw up in my whole entire life. And it's not even like the member reused the same bottle--Hna. Agurcia said she broke the seal when she opened the bottle. When do fermented grapes become wine?

     Our next appointment was with Absalon and Natalia. They have this weird tradition where every time we come to visit with them, they make some weird juice thing for us to drink. Hna. Agurcia said that at the last appointment, the other Hna. wasn't feeling too well, and she didn't finish it. Absalon made fun of her and Natalia was offended. I was in so much pain, but I downed that entire drink thing.

     Hermana Agurcia is almost as bad as the members;) She's always cooking! She wants to make me lunch every day. She insists on dishing the food onto my plate too. I don't think she realizes how Hispanic she is;) In the mornings, she always makes some homemade drink for me. Once it was honey and lemon, yesterday it was cinnamon tea, and today she made a drink from raw oats. I don't know how she does it, but they're always super yummy. I've given into the fact that I'm going to gain weight on my mission. I'm trying to control my portions as much as possible, but I also need to understand that food is how Hispanics communicate love.

     As for the work in this area, we are finding A TON of new investigators. Because the other Hermana was sick, they only had a few, and most hadn't been seen since before Christmas. Almost every Hispanic will invite us in or to come back later, so it's hard to tell who will actually progress in the Gospel. It looks as if we're going to have a lot of first lessons. Absalon and Natalia are probably most progressing. We were talking about the Book of Mormon, and out of nowhere, Absalon started asking questions about the Plan of Salvation--explaining that he believed that there must be some sort of waiting place between death and resurrection. He's so prepared:)

     Anyway, I'm about to be kicked off early:/ The library is busy in the afternoons. I love you all so much and I'm so grateful for your prayers! I've been considerably stressed because all of the changes, but I know that God wouldn't give me a commandment (or a language change assignment) without preparing a way for me to accomplish it! Please send me mail because support at this time would be awesome:)

Love you!  Hermana Crandall

*PS- one picture of Hermana Agurcia's first time at Krispy Kremes!
Hermana Sarah Crandall
1002 Jefferson Davis Hwy #222
Fredericksburg, VA 22401

No comments:

Post a Comment