Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fun Times in Fredericksburg!

Querida Familia,

     This scripture describes perfectly how I feel about the upcoming season:
Song of Solomon 2:12
I believe that Millie will especially enjoy that one.

     Hermana Agurcia and I have been very busy here in Fredericksburg! Here's a little bit about our investigators:

     Absalon y Natalia - Instead of giving us a weird drink this past week, Natalia made deer tacos! SO RICO. Natalia really wants to baptize her son in the Catholic church. Absalon said she could, but it wouldn't matter because he's going to have his son baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ when he turns 8! Now if we could just get them to read El Libro de Mormon...

     Claudia - Super Pentecostal. Hispanics don't Bible bash the way that Southern Baptists do, but she's the closest. Every lesson starts out that way, but then ends spiritually when Hermana Agurcia and I bear our testimonies. In our most recent lesson, her husband (American) and her daughter sat in. The husband wanted to argue too. He said that the Spirit was constraining him to teach us about the Day of Pentecost. He stressed that the Comforter didn't arrive until 50 days after the Ascension of Jesus Christ... I don't think he realized, but that only confirms the veracity of the visitation of Jesus Christ to the Americas. Oh well. The husband offered the closing prayer, petitioning God to save us and help us find the truth. Claudia mumbled throughout the prayer and then put her hands on our heads. I felt the Spirit leave the room. The feeling was so disgusting and I hope to never experience it again! Needless to say, we think that they are not ready for the Gospel at this time.

     Eric - Eric is my favorite muchacho of them all! Hna. Agurcia and I spend a lot of time in the same apartment complex. There is always the same group of muchachos, or young boys, playing outside. This group of friends ranges from 8 to 18 years old. We know most of their names by now and they give us lots of referrals! We once passed out pamphlets to them and invited them to go to church. They agreed, but we weren't sure how serious they were. Hermano Moreno, a member, went to pick them up. All four that we talked to attended! That was about a week ago for Stake Conference. Eric, who is only 8, seems to be the most interested. We've knocked on his door a few times, and his parents say we can come back, but don't seem to care all that much. Eric told me that he wanted to see a movie about Jesus Christ. He doesn't have a strong Christian background, but he's very in tune with the Spirit. 

     We went by the complex yesterday and arrived just in time to see him taking out the trash! That was a miracle in and of itself! We told him we had the movie and he needed to get his friends together and permission from his parents. (A member lives in the complex and we arranged to have the lesson at his home.) Eric and his friend Tony came to watch the movie with us! We watched Testaments. We thought they would enjoy the action, it shows a lot about the Savior's life, and it talks about the Book of Mormon. I felt the Spirit SO STRONG! Eric had lots of questions. We bore testimony that our Savior died for him, and now lives for him. We were all crying a lot, including Eric. We invited him to be baptized and he said he wants to! I had the strongest impression that I was sitting next to one of the noble and great spirits of God. Eric is one of the elect! When we walked him home, we talked about missionary life and told him that one day he could be a missionary too! I feel so honored to have met this muchacho!

     We're teaching A LOT.

     Anyway, here are some thoughts about Virtue. I hope you've enjoyed studying this attribute of Christ as much as I have!

-The most virtuous thought you could have is "I am a child of God."
-PMG - "A pattern of thought and behavior based on high moral standards...prerequisite to receiving the Spirit's guidance."
-Integrity - being true to who you know you are. 
-"Pray for strength to resist temptation and do what is right."
-Memorize a good hymn or scripture
-The virtuous will receive inheritance in Zion! D&C 25:2
-Virtue = holiness
-D&C 121 - virtue will give me confidence and make me a better leader (doctrine of the priesthood.)
-Seek after Virtue! (AoF13)
-2 Peter 1 - I have been called to glory and virtue!
-Virtue builds on faith
-Lehi's dream and Nephi's vision -- what is it that I most desire?
-People of Ammon - bury all temptations so I can stay "bright!"

     Now dearest family, this is what I need from you...the past few weeks have been pretty stressful and difficult. Hermana Agurcia and I did NOT receive a call for transfers, which means I'll be here for the next six weeks! (Phew!) I've been thinking a lot about what you could do to help me. I love getting mail, but the happiness I get from it isn't very lasting. This is what I came up with:

     In order to help all of us prepare for General Conference, I want you (each of you!) to print out your all time favorite General Conference talk! Read it again and mark it up. Write notes about what you like, what you learned, your testimony, etc. THEN, mail it to me so I can enjoy it too! This shouldn't take more than 15-30 minutes of your time. It would mean the world to me :) We can both enjoy your favorite talk! If you send me yours, I promise to send you mine!

     I feel so privileged to be where I am doing what I'm doing. I'm preaching the Gospel to the descendants of the Lamanites! How cool is that?:) I love and miss you all so much and I am incredibly grateful for the support that I've received so far.

I hope you have a great week! Happy reading:)  Love, Hermana Crandall

*PS Here's my address again in case you missed it:)

1002 Jefferson Davis Highway #222
Fredericksburg, VA 22401

No comments:

Post a Comment