Monday, February 24, 2014

The Mechanicsville Manzana

Querida Familia!
     Last week on P-day, I wrote that I was terribly sick. I ended up losing about 5 pounds (#morefitforthekingdom) and we weren't able to go out that night. BUT, I received an amazing priesthood blessing from my new ward mission leader, Brother Murrell. He told me that God knows everything I'm thinking and feeling. I feel as if the blessing applied more to my mission situation than it did to my illness.
     On Tuesday night, Hermana Pratt and I went Hispanic Hunting--grocery store style. I call it "Store Stalking." We walked around Walmart trying to find Hispanics to talk to. It was about 8 pm and there was only one Hispanic couple in the entire store! And we circled it five times! Anyway, I used the lame "I'm trying to learn Spanish" excuse to talk to them. We then invited them to attend our free English class! (The Church has produced a program called "Daily Dose" that is great for teaching English.)
     On Wednesday, we had Sisters Meeting for all of the Sisters in the mission. It was weird seeing Sister Olsen again, especially because she's with Sister Stephens now. And I'm not with her anymore. And we're not together. And we're no longer companions.
     The theme was "My Psalm" and we focused on the Psalms and things we do to show praise for God (how we dress, unity, happiness, and fulfilling our purpose). In the happiness class, the member teaching went on about how she goes to the temple to feel happy. I'm pretty sure every missionary in the room was ready to weep and wail and gnash their teeth. In case I've never mentioned it before, I MISS THE TEMPLE SO MUCH. Anyway, I love something that President Wilson taught: How can I tell that I'm doing my best? I'm comfortable with failure. If I'm uncomfortable with failure, that means I could be doing more.

     Thursday was District Meeting, which is held in downtown Richmond. If you get the chance, look up the church on 300 W Grace St. in Richmond. It's right in the middle of the city! And while Hermana Pratt and I were there, our new companion showed up!! Her name is Hermana Daniela Depablos, and she is from Caracas, Venezuela. This is her Temple Square outbound mission. If you haven't heard of that, every Temple Square Sister gets to spend two transfers in a stateside mission. She's been out for 9 months, but she still has the same fire and excitement of a brand new missionary! She's 22 (almost 23) and is also a business student, except she's pre-law. Her English is really cute. She always says, "This is so sad/terrible/happy/good/bad/etc." for everything.
     La Manzana del Templo is how you say Temple Square in Spanish. Manzana also means apple. So....that's where the subject line comes from:)
     After District Meeting finished, we decided that we'd all go to Subway to pick up lunch. It's on Broad St., which is also where VCU is located. It was super busy and we all took a few Mormon.org cards with us and street contacted like crazy! Two black guys (who had already talked to the Elders) asked me for my number;) I told them that if they were baptized, we could discuss it further. The Elders started talking to one older man, and he told them that he'd prefer to talk to the pretty ladies....hahaha:) Fun times. Look up Broad St. on Googlemaps, too. It's right behind the church and it's really neat!
     I feel somewhat responsible for the experience that Hermana Depablos has, because she only gets 12 weeks here. I want to make sure that she has as many missionary experiences as possible. I can tell that she has the same disappointments with the area that I do--we can't attend church with our investigators. In Temple Square, she teaches investigators around the world over the phone and she's unable to attend church with them or go to their baptisms. She was expecting to be able to do that here. (Also...fun fact...Temple Square is one of the highest baptizing missions!)
     Being in a threesome companionship is pretty challenging. I only teach about 1/15th of each lesson, if even that much. I don't know the language well enough to be able to insert myself during a lesson. If I want to say something I have to wait for a long enough pause to be able to pull my thoughts together. And by then, someone's already said what I wanted to say. Or the subject has changed. I have to remember that I'm supposed to be teaching by the Spirit...It's the Spirit that speaks, not me. My Spanish is frustrating because I can talk about a lot of things, but I don't know all of the correct vocabulary for Gospel topics.
     On Saturday, we went to contact a referral named Sara. She wasn't very interested, but on the drive there, we saw a huge flea market. We stopped by afterwards and did some contacting for about an hour or two. We mostly invited people to come to our English class! Hermana Depablos and I also taught the message of the Restoration under someone's tent. It was a really neat experience! The woman said she had a Book of Mormon, but she couldn't remember who Joseph Smith was. Hermana Depablos jumped right in and I was able to recite the first vision in Spanish. I've attached a picture of the flea market:)
     Lastly, we had the opportunity to attend Sacrament Meeting in the Henrico Rama (Branch) on Sunday! I think Hermana Pratt said this was her first time actually being able to go. It took us 5 days to get permission:P But, Filiberto, a convert of one month, was speaking! He gave a beautiful talk on charity and the Atonement:) I was able to understand most of the service! I wish that we could attend every week!
     Now I'm going to write some notes I've taken about patience. They are scattered, but hopefully you can pull something out of it! I feel like I've had ample opportunities to learn about this attribute so far this month.
*D&C 101:38 - "In patience ye may possess your souls." Patience is self control!
*Romans 5:3 - tribulation worketh patience, which helps us gain experience! It's not "experience" if it didn't take patience.
*"Continue in patience until ye are perfected" D&C 67:13 (GRACE!)
*D&C 123:17 - Standing STILL, being STILL, and trusting God.
*Still small voice = a patient voice.
*Mark 4:39 - Only Christ can calm the sea (or us!)
*Fasting will help us develop more patience
*Enduring to the end CHEERFULLY
*Patience is more than just waiting - it's preparing!
*"Capacity to endure delay, trouble, opposition, or suffering without becoming angry, frustrated, or anxious.... Hold up under pressure and face adversity calmly and hopefully." PMG
*"We count them happy which endure" James 5:11
*"Be STILL and know that I am God" (TG: Silence)

     I love you all! And I'm so grateful for the patience you have for me:)
Love, Hermana Crandall
*PS - Please write me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In case you didn't catch my address last week, here it is again:
7168 Hunter Circle
Mechanicsville, VA 23111

No comments:

Post a Comment