Monday, February 17, 2014

Adios, Accokeek!

Good-bye Sister Olsen
     Hey!! Sorry I forgot to send this last week;) hahahahah. So for all of you studying patience for this month, I've given you a great opportunity to practice!:) Here is my email from last Monday, February 10, 2014:


Querida Familia,

     You read that right! This little sister is leaving the 'Keek AND becoming a little Hermana! 

     About 2.5 weeks ago, I had an interview with President Wilson. I had previously mentioned to him that I was interested in switching to Spanish. During the interview, I brought it up again. I told him that I would feel comfortable switching as early as April, or possibly during the Summer. President Wilson said that he'd been thinking and praying about it a lot, and that he wanted to switch me this next transfer! I accepted. He said he had a favor to ask of me...he wanted to give me a blessing! It was definitely one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. I was promised the gift of tongues as I continue to study Spanish spiritually. Last night I received the call to confirm my changing assignment. I will spend the rest of my mission as an Hermana! (Pronounced air-MAW-nuhh:) Sister Olsen will remain in Accokeek, and she will also begin serving as a Sister Training Leader (female Zone Leader).

     As part of my preparation, President Wilson had me attend a special Spanish training in Richmond on Tuesday. Sister Olsen spent the day with the Sister Training Leaders and I went with the Hermanas from Stafford and Woodbridge. It was a lot of fun and the food was amazing! Most of the training was in English, but I was able to understand the testimonies, prayers, and songs, which were in Spanish.

     The switch will officially take place on Thursday this week! Prayers are super appreciated:)

*Other cool things that happened this past week:

     Sister Olsen and I went to Goodwill on P-day! I found four skirts for $20. An older woman/widow in the ward, Sister Embrey, enjoys feeding us lunch every other week or so. I love spending time with her and talking about genealogy! We had a ward party Saturday night. Two investigators and two less actives that we've been working with attended. It was an adult social and we played minute-to-win-it games. We had a 24 hour exchange with the Sister Training Leaders, and I stayed in Accokeek with Sister French. It was great to see how my investigators responded to a new missionary. It's the same Gospel, no matter who the messenger! We went to Fredericksburg today so Sister Olsen could be finger printed for a background check for her visa. (Can you believe she's been out for 8 months and still no visa???)

*Here's an update on my lovely investigators:

     The Fishers are still progressing. I love this family so dearly, and it will break my heart to leave them! I hope I'll be able to go to the temple with them at the end of my mission!

     Wendy is able to go up and down the stairs now. She's going to be so heart broken when I disappear, but hopefully she'll love the new sister:) She plans on attending church when her knee heals more fully. She wants to bring her family!!!

     Sister Olsen and I are probably going to drop Tonya. My heart hurts so much, but I feel it's the right thing. She hasn't been progressing in weeks now, she's missed two baptismal dates, and she just won't keep commitments. Even though she wants to continue meeting with us, that doesn't mean it's the best thing for her spiritual progression.

     Alex is home! We've passed him over to the Elders, and they've already taught him twice. He said he met missionaries in Honduras, but we're not sure how much contact they had with him.

     Brenda is a new investigator! I'm not sure if I've mentioned her before or not. Sister Olsen found her tracting while on an exchange. She's golden! She's looking for a church to attend, and she accepted everything we taught in the Restoration. She's unsure about baptism, but that's a matter of understanding priesthood authority. I fully believe she'll be baptized some day in the future:)

     I don't talk about Steve and Sheila very much, but Sheila is incredibly regular about coming to church. In fact, she wants everyone to think that she's a member. Steve has begun to attend with her and said we can teach him the lessons! They won't be getting married until next fall, but shortly thereafter I hope that both will be baptized!!

---

     As excited as I am for my new assignment, I'm sad to leave behind Accokeek. After church on Sunday, Sister Olsen and I stopped by the Bishop's office to get candy. We had a long chat with Bishop Carver and Brother Jenkins (counselor). Bishop Carver said there's a huge distinction between "great girls" and "great Sisters," and that we are "great Sisters!" I'm so happy for the opportunity I had to serve in this ward.

     About a year ago, I submitted my mission papers for the first time. On March 31st, Easter Sunday, I was told that I needed to wait to serve a mission. The Accokeek Ward was formed on the very same day. Sister Olsen and I "pink-washed" the area--meaning that we were the first Sisters here. If I had come on my mission any time earlier than I did, I might not have had the opportunity to be here. 

     When I submitted my papers the second time, I felt very strongly that I was going to be called Spanish speaking because of all the work I put into learning and loving Spanish. My Patriarchal Blessing also specifically mentions the use of my gifts of communication on my mission. I also felt that I was ready to serve a mission and I needed to enter the field as soon as possible. When I received my call, I only had six weeks before entering the MTC. If I had been assigned Spanish speaking, I would have had to wait another six weeks or so in order to go to the CCM in Mexico. 

     In all of my prayer and reflection, I have learned that I was supposed to serve in Accokeek and I am supposed to become an Hermana. It just feels right!

     Siento bendecida por la oportunidad que tenia servir en el barrio Accokeek! Estoy agradecida for la oportunidad ahora de llegar a ser una hermana! Estoy nerviosa, pero yo se que mi Padre Celestial me conoce y me ama. Voy a hacer todas las cosas en mi poder de aprender y usar espanol para bendecer las vidas de los hispanos en Virginia. Yo se que la Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias es la Iglesia unicamente verdadera en el mundo! Yo se que El Libro de Mormon es la palabra de Dios y fue translado por Jose Smith por el Espiritu Santo porque lo he leido. Estoy feliz porque yo se que soy una hija de Dios:)

I love you all super much!!!!!  Hermana Crandall

*PS - I have no idea where I'm going, but you will get a new address from me next week!
*PPS - Happy Valentine's Day!:)
*PPPS - Virginia is for lovers. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment