Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Last email from Stafford, for real this time

Good-bye Sister Quinones
      People, just letting you know that I jammed my left ring finger while playing oompa today and it is really painful to email ya'll. Oompa is like ultimate frisbee mixed with basketball mixed with football americano. You can only take 3 steps with the football, and you can pass it, and you try to make it into the basketball hoop. It was tons of fun, but my finger is seriously puffy:(
     You know that part in "Phantom of the Opera" where Carlotta tells everyone "I'm really leaving"? That's kind of how I felt yesterday as I said goodbye to all of my friends in Accokeek and Stafford Spanish. Because I'm really leaving this time! It was kind of surprising and crazy because I had a really strong feeling that I'd be staying. All day Saturday (transfer call day) I wasn't nervous and I hardly thought about it. When it was 10:30 PM, we thought we were safe for sure!
     Then at 10:40, we received a call from President Wilson... I almost didn't answer it. He told me that I was the last call of the night! He apologized, but said that I'd be moving and TRAINING again. This means I'll either be opening an area or whitewashing. I'm kind of nervous, but I'm also super grateful that I was able to train Hermana Quinones first so that I have some experience training. But I do feel bad that another Hermana will finish her training. I'll let you know next week where I end up!:) Until then, you can send mail to the mission office!;)
*So here's about our week...
     We have one investigator who I think they'll end up dropping soon. The lesson was just so sad. They're very offended that we can't give them rides in our car, but we can give a ride to a member who's going with us to a lesson. I tried to explain it as best as I could, but they accused us of being unChristlike and said our leaders were "equivocado." I went home and prayed and cried about it. I started thinking about my purpose as a missionary. I'm here to invite people to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored Gospel - faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. I can give temporal service, but I'm really here to do spiritual service. Christ, before healing anyone, forgave them of their sins. He came here to heal us spiritually before healing us physically/temporally. If we were allowed to give rides to people, it would distract us from our purpose.
3rd Trip to Gov't Island :-)
     On Wednesday, we did an afternoon exchange with the Fred Hermanas! I went to Fred, and Hermana McRae came to Stafford. Hermana McRae is the blonde one I'm with in one of the Government Island pictures. She's also training! We wanted our trainees (Hermana Quinones and Hermana Romero) to have an opportunity to lead in their areas so we organized a half-day exchange. It was a lot of fun!
     On Thursday, we had Sister Redd with us because Sister Nelson went to the temple with all of the departing missionaries. We did weekly planning so not much happened;) haha.
     Zone Meeting was Friday and they announced that at the end of the month of September, the whole mission is taking the week off to do a Book of Mormon read-a-thon!!! I didn't even know this kind of thing was allowed;) But President Wilson said that it's not likely we'll have another opportunity like this in our lives--to read the BOM in one week--and he wants us to be able to do it on our missions! I'm super excited:) Stay tuned for more details!
     Saturday was super painful because we had some morning appointments, then came back to the apartment to have lunch and finish studies. (As part of training, we have to do 2 hours of companionship study a day.) Hermana Monica called us at 2 pm to ask if we were coming for lunch. She had signed up for Sunday, but somehow got mixed up and thought it was Saturday. She also needed some help, so we decided to go over. This was after we had already eaten. So we ate there. And then we had dinner at 5, so we ate again. During dinner, I was so stuffed that I thought I was going to throw up on the plate. Oh the woes of being a skinny Hermana;)
     But we had some great lessons that night despite the stomach ache! Miguel Angel is progresando and he loves church and loves the messages we share! When he prayed, he thanked God for sending us to share His word with him. It's so cool when that happens!
     We also had a great lesson Sunday night with Yuri! We finally got her husband involved! We did a Noche de Hogar con la familia Morgan. Her husband was just going to drop her off with the kids, but we talked him into coming in. Hermana Morgan made lots of food and we talked about the temple and eternal families. Yuri was so sad that I'm leaving! But she's a great investigator and I know she'll keep learning after I leave.
Branch President Vasquez & Family
     Anyway, I'm really grateful that I was able to spend 11 months of my mission here in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area. It feels like I'm leaving home again! I've learned and changed so much here! I'm excited to take all of this and apply it in my next area. While praying this morning, I felt the strongest confirmation that this is the right time for me to leave. Heavenly Father wanted me to feel like I was staying to help me stay focused and to help me love the people even more. Last February I received a priesthood blessing from Brother Houtz that said that my heart would expand to love more than I thought possible. I finally understand what that means!
     That's all for this week! I've got a lot of packing ahead of me! I love you all so much! Thank you for your support and love:) Thank you for the occasional BYU Football updates. What would I do without you???
Con amor,  Hermanita Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment