Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Las Hermanas de Henrico

Sister Sprunt & Sister Crandall
Querida Familia,

     Hermana Sprunt and I have been working really hard and the area is starting to become something!! We started with absolutely nothing and now we have some really great families we're teaching!
Kelly is the amiguita of one of our members. (I think I mentioned her last week.) We were able to teach her, her mom, and her younger brother Hirlim in the house of the member. The father passed away a few years ago, and Kelly is really happy that she can live with him again!:) She came to church yesterday. We were chatting in Sacrament Meeting, and she said (in a super concerned voice), "I haven't been baptized yet!" Ohh, we can take care of that:) We just want to get her mom and brother on board too. The mom also opened up to us a lot in the lesson, so we're heading in the right direction!

      We were able to teach Maria and her family twice this past week and she's now progressing! Maria is the one with whom we saw the miracles last week--they were at Popeyes and they have a BYU sticker on their car. Her husband, Vidal, reminds me a bit of Absalon. When we asked when we could come back, he suggested the following day. Then he said we can come back every day to teach their family! They are so prepared! They're a little nervous about coming to church, so hopefully we'll find a good fellowshipper family.

     Christopher is not progressing towards baptism...his family wants him to get baptized, but they don't want to reactivate. I don't want to baptized a less-active, so we want them to start coming to church regularly before any covenants are made.

     We had another lesson with Marcelino! In the first and second lesson, we invited him to pray at the end. Both times, he kneels, closes his eyes, and prays without saying a word. (Not en voz alta...) Hermana Sprunt and I just kind of look at each other and wait for him to finish. He says really long prayers. We had a member with us in the second lesson and she was a little confused and thought maybe she couldn't hear what he was saying because she's older, haha.

     We've been receiving a TON of referrals because we've been doing what PMG teaches: pedir referencias a !todas las personas! The past two weeks we got between 15 and 20 each week! A member gave us her neighbor. Her name is Sebastiana and she's golden! She wants to be baptized and she was taught by missionaries a year ago. It was funny though because while we were teaching her, missionaries from another church showed up... Anyway, she seems really great. The only challenge will be getting her and her six kids to church when she doesn't drive and her husband works on Sundays!

     We also talk to everyone. We chatted with this black man named Stan. He said that while he was attending school in Tennessee, something happened with his lease and he had to move out of his apartment. He wasn't sure where to live, but a family friend (named George F. Curtis, a Mormon) offered to let him live in their home. He said they had lots of kids and that in order to live with them, he had to be involved in all of their family activities. He said he did family scripture study, family home evening, family prayer, family talent night, and family movie night. He said that everything he knew about being a father he learned from George Curtis. Apparently George Curtis went on to coach BYU football. How cool is that story????:) He accepted to receive the English missionaries. We never know the power of our example!!!

     Anyway, lots of great things are going on in the mission right now! On Saturday we started our Book of Mormon read-a-thon. I decided to read it in Spanish. Right now I'm in Mosiah 23! I've discovered that I can read about 20-25 pages every hour. We still go to our lessons, but all extra time is devoted to reading the Book of Mormon. Planning is super easy every night;) Our goal is that after the read-a-thon, we'll use the Book of Mormon more in how we teach and we'll have stronger testimonies of its truthfulness. I can already see the effects because we've started using more verses while we're teaching. PMG says that it should be the main source of our teaching!!

     I will also have the opportunity this week to see the "Meet the Mormons" movie that will be available in select movie theaters in October. All missionaries around the world are watching the movie before its release. And we also have interviews with President Wilson! I can't believe how fast the time is flying!

     Speaking of which...I must tell you what happened on my one year mark! Our District Leader, Elder Grange, always asks how he can help. So Hermana Sprunt and I started telling him that we need Chinese food. We get plenty of arroz y pollo y frijoles, but we're not getting any Chinese food. On Thursday, we had just started weekly planning when he called us. He said that we should check outside our door. There was a bag of Chinese food waiting for us!!! And he and his companion had drawn on our car windows with a car window marker. They drew a large birthday cake and Chinese characters on the front window, and they wrote "HONK it's my birthday!" on the back window. It was really funny and a lot of people honked at us that day:)

     Mommy, I missed you a lot Saturday night at the Womens Meeting! I decided to watch it in Spanish. I remember watching a regional conference in Spanish last March, and I understood almost nothing. This time, I understood the whole conference! I'm so happy!:) Except I had a headache afterwards, haha. The Hermanas made funny comments throughout. It was really cool to sit with them in the Relief Society room and and feel the Spirit and understand. I really love my Hermanas and my calling!:)

     Anyway...love you all so much! Pray for me to be able to finish the Book of Mormon this week! Pray for my investigators!

Love, Hermanita Crandall

*PS - Shout out to LINDSAY, who sent me a package this past week with a flashlight in it. We got home that night and our neighbor was having car problems and was trying to change a tire. They didn't have any light so I was able to let them borrow the flashlight! Definitely inspired:) Mommy also sent me a package, so thank you:) My zone LOVED the hi-chews while we did zone sports last P-day. We played oompa again!

*PPS - Sorry I will repent and take more fotos. But this is me y mi companera, Hermana Sprunt (at top). Her mom is Peruvian, but her dad is American and she didn't grow up speaking Spanish. Sometimes people get confused when I'm the one speaking Spanish;) haha. But her Spanish has improved A TON and we're working really well together! I love her so much!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment