Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sweater Weather in Accokeek

Waiting for Library Computers!
To the people I love:

     Most days it hovers around 65 degrees, but yesterday it hit 75. I'm loving the weather here! I've never seen such a warm November!

     Let's talk about Stafford. A woman in my ward had to explain this to me. Because Virginia is a commonwealth, not a state, it's organized differently. There are some cities, like Fredericksburg. But most places are counties. Stafford is a county, not a city. Spotsylvania and Caroline are counties, not cities. Accokeek isn't a city in Stafford county, it's a creek that my ward is named after. Aquia, Garrisonville, Rockhill, Culpeper, etc., are the names of other wards in Stafford county...but they aren't cities. 

     Mommy asked about the Accokeek Ward: I LOVE THIS WARD. The Bishop is amazing. The Ward Mission Leader contacts us at least three or four times a week. This Relief Society President...I cannot believe how much she does! She is super woman. We get fed about 5 times a week, if not more. People are always asking what we need and what they can do for us. I know the names of at least half of the active families. 

     I am praying praying praying that I'll get to stay for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Next Sunday Sister Olsen and I will find out if we're being transferred! Most Brazil visa waiters spend 4 months state-side, so there's a pretty good chance she'll be out of here before Christmas. When her visa comes through, she'll be given 3 weeks notice.

     Here's an update on my investigators:

*ALEX is really progressing! Last night we had a break through lesson about modern day prophets. We watched President Uchtdorf's address "Come Join with us" in Spanish with him. He is so prepared! Also, he likes to write his prayers down. He wrote us three prayers in Spanish and gave them to us! I can't remember if I mentioned this last week or not, but when Alex prayed about baptism, he had a dream where he was standing on clear blue water and Sister Olsen and I were there! AHHH! Today we are fasting with him to help him gain a testimony of the Priesthood.

*TONYA (I had her name spelled wrong earlier) is struggling and needs lots of prayers and love. Her mom passed away and so she's out of town right now. We're keeping in contact and she really appreciates our friendship. I love Tonya so so so much. My heart is the size of Virginia for this woman.

*WALTER was unsuccessfully passed over to the Elders...He wasn't outside like normal for our appointment, so we knocked on his door. His daughter answered and said he's having a hard time coming to grips with God and Jesus Christ being separate. She said he's going to continue reading from the Book of Mormon and he wants us to come back in two weeks. We are 9999% sure that he was fed anti by his pastor who we met previously (and I mentioned a few weeks ago). So much sadness. You should know that my entire mission, I've only cried for sadness once, and that was my last time in the Celestial room of the Provo Temple. (And I was crying because I don't get to go to the temple until April 2015.) I almost cried about Walter...it's a pretty big deal. At that moment, I wanted a Father's Blessing more than anything. I sure miss you, Dad!:) I hope that the Spirit works on Walter as he continues to read from the Book of Mormon.

     Happier things: Sister Olsen and I drove down to Richmond (about an hour South) on Saturday for "return and report," where all of the greenies and their trainers meet up. President Wilson started talking about iPads and missionary work. By the end of 2014, every missionary will have an iPad. Their OWN iPad. He said that in the future, missionaries will receive their iPads after they accept their mission calls. They will use them for pre-MTC training, in the MTC, in the field, and they will keep them when they go home. Area books will be completely digital and accessible by ward mission leaders, Bishops, the missionaries, mission presidents, Salt Lake, etc. Daily planners will also be digital. iPads will be used for all areas of proselyting: tracting, street contacting, teaching, etc. Eventually, all missionaries will be on facebook, too! He's not sure when it will come to Richmond, but all missions will be using this technology by the end of 2014. I'm hoping it will come here in the summer. That way I will get to serve 9 months without it, and 9 months with it.

     As many of you know, I love journaling. Right now I'm keeping two journals: I have my large plates, and my small plates. In my large plates, I keep a record of everything that happens as well as my notes from devotionals, Sundays, and meetings. In my small plates, I only write things that I learn or revelation I receive. I keep track of my goals and progress. I write important questions and then answer them over time. Examples: What are mission habits I want to keep for the rest of my life? What answers did I receive in General Conference? Who do I want to be in 18 months? I also take notes about my Patriarchal Blessing, like things I need to remember, blessings I've been given, and my spiritual gifts. I don't think I'll turn back to my large plates very often, but my small plates are something I'll treasure for the rest of my life. I also call my small plates my "becoming book" which is really cheesy, I know...but everything in the book is about helping me become more of who God wants me to be.

     In my small plates/becoming book, I have a page for each Christlike attribute. This is what I have written about humility:

-Don't think less of myself, but think about myself less.
-When I pray, give thanks and acknowledge God's hand.
-"Recognize gratefully [my] dependence on the Lord." (True to the Faith)
-Always speak respectfully about my leaders
-"Pride is competitive" (PMG) and so is envy!
-Alma 26
-Contrite, meek, submissive, teachable
-Humility is strength! (Ether 12:27)
-Veil will be rent and I will see God (D&C 67:10)
-Fasting builds humility
-John the Baptist is a great example of humility!

     I hope that gives you some ideas of things to look at or work on:)

     Last story...Sister Olsen and I went with some neighbors to their church's weekly service project. It's an Episcopalian Church and they serve free dinner each Wednesday night. Everyone was very friendly and wanted to know more about missionary service. We're hoping to go back every week now!:)

     Another shout-out to Sister Miller, who is flying to Charlotte, North Carolina today! How cool is it that my best friend and I are both serving on the East Coast? In neighboring missions?? The coolest. I love her like crazy and she will do amazing things.

I love you all SO MUCH. LIKE A LOT!! Please write me:)  Sister Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment