Monday, November 4, 2013

A Spooky Week in Accokeek

     As many of you are aware, today is my Mommy's birthday! When my Mom was my age, she was in a pretty serious motorcycle accident, and as a result, has large scars on both legs. It's never been a concern for me. Mom is beautiful and perfect as she is. However, I know that when she was younger (and maybe even now), it has caused some embarrassment. 

     Here is a quote from Elder Holland that I love:

“Jesus has chosen, even in a resurrected, otherwise perfected body, to retain for the benefit of His disciples the wounds in His hands and in His feet and in His side-signs, if you will, that painful things happen even to the pure and the perfect; signs, if you will, that pain in this world is not evidence that God doesn't love you; signs, if you will, that problems pass and happiness can be ours.”

     God's definition of perfect is very different from the world's. When we obtain our perfectly glorious resurrected bodies, I don't think that means that we're going to look like the people in magazines and on TV. In fact, I hope I don't look like that. I think we'll look like ourselves. God promises that we will see as we are seen, and be known as we are known. My Mommy will be perfect, whether or not she retains those scars on her legs.

     I'm so grateful for my Mom. I wouldn't be on a mission if it wasn't for her. Not to say that she pressured me, but my decision stemmed from the way that I was raised. My Mom was diligent in holding family scripture study and weekly FHE. She taught me the Gospel and helped me build my own testimony. How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of my Mother, who has made me everything I am today:) I love you, Mom. Happy birthday!:)

     I have three investigators that I want to talk about:

*TANYA is still progressing and working towards her baptismal date! Sister Olsen and I are going to be helping her paint her living room soon, too. I love teaching Tanya because it's like visiting a friend. She always has the kindest things to say to us and her faith is phenomenal. She came to church yesterday and loved it! Everyone wanted to meet her. Please pray for Tanya!:)

*WALTER, I mentioned briefly last week. He's kind of old and aloof. We always show up at his apartment complex at the same time every week and wander around until we find him. Sometimes he's on his front porch, other times he's behind the building on a bench. I have the biggest crush on Walter. Me as a missionary loves him as an investigator:) Last week, we found him reading from the Book of Mormon!! However, Sister Olsen and I have felt really strongly like we need to pass him over to the elders. We threatened them and said that they have to love Walter into the Celestial Kingdom.

The "Princess" Sisters!
*ALEX is our next door neighbor. He's from Honduras, and was taught the missionary lessons at age 17. He has read the entire Libro de Mormon! He has a lot of faith and said that he's ready to be baptized. He's only hesitant because he wants his wife to be baptized, too. Also...he bore his testimony at church yesterday!!! I imagine that what I felt is what Mom and Dad feel when one of us girls bear our testimonies. Alex's daughter Kelly loves us and drew us a picture! I've attached my picture of the picture.

     Here's another Holland quote that I came across:

"You make or break your mission every morning of your life. You tell me how those morning hours go from 6:30 am until you are on the street in your mission, whatever time it is; you tell me how those hours go, and I will tell you how your day will go, I will tell you how your month will go, I will tell you how your year will go and how your mission and life will go."

     I think this applies to post-mission life as well. My goals are to use every morning to become more of who God expects me to be as well as to make the decision to wake up happy every single morning!:)

     NOW, the moment you've all been waiting for...The Restoration!

     The Van Buskirks came home early Halloween morning. We drove to the post office with Sis. VBK and brought home so many letters and so many packages! I've attached a picture with me and all my mail. It was a glorious feast! Thank you everyone for your love and support. As awesome as it was, I've come to the realization that mail isn't what makes me happiest. Hearing Tanya commit to live the commandments, finding Walter reading from the Book of Mormon, and listening to Alex's testimony were the highlights of my week. I LOVE inviting others to come unto Christ.

     The night before was the ward Halloween party. Sister Olsen and I went as elders. You can see the attached picture. I love the Accokeek ward!! I have come to love these people so so so much.
     Alrighty, I'm glad we're all on board with working on Christlike attributes each month. Here's a full schedule of the months and attributes:

*Charity and Love - Oct 2013 & July 2014
*Humility - Nov 2013 & Aug 2014
*Faith - Dec 2013 & Sep 2014
*Knowledge - Jan 2014 & Oct 2014
*Patience - Feb 2014 & Nov 2014
*Virtue - Mar 2014 & Dec 2014
*Diligence - Apr 2014 & Jan 2015
*Hope - May 2014 & Feb 2015
*Obedience - Jun 2014 & Mar 2015

     My Ward Mission Leader (Max Houtz) said this about charity: "Charity is nothing more than helping others feel good about themselves."

     It's so simple. I love that. Charity doesn't have to be giving money or giving time. It's about helping people realize their divine nature and potential. Now on to November, which is humility! Sister Olsen and I have a nasty habit of talking ourselves down. I think my hair is frizzy, my skin has zits, or I'm displeased with my waistline. Talking badly about myself doesn't help me focus on God and His hand in my life. My goal is to think better about myself, and to think about myself less. I want to look in the mirror in the morning, and then spend the rest of my day looking outward. I also am going to always say positive things about my leaders to show support for them. God has given them stewardship over me for a reason.

     Speaking of God, this is the testimony that I want to share today: God knows you and He loves you. God loves me SO MUCH. I know this because we went to visit a potential investigator...when we arrived, they ordered pizza and fed us cheesecake. I have been craving cheesecake for about 134593876 days now, and I finally got some! God loves me so much!!!

And I love you too.  Sister Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment