Monday, June 2, 2014

Fireflies in Stafford!!!

Clark - Dangerfield - Crandall - Lindo
Querida Familia,

     I SAW FIREFLIES!! For the very first time last night!

     We were driving home from a lesson with la familia Gomez at 9:15 last and we drove through a giant sparkling field:) I am so happy!

     Anyway so my week. I've been sick since last Sunday, but I'm starting to get over it. I've been taking some medication to help my back, but it killed my immune system. I'm starting physical therapy this week. There will be a little bit more soreness, and then hopefully this 6 month episode will be over! I just feel very blessed that the problems aren't any worse. I don't need serious medical attention, I don't have to go home, and I can still focus on the work. I'm really grateful with my Heavenly Father for all that he has done for me the past few months!

     There aren't as many Hispanics in Stafford as there are in Fredericksburg, but we're still keeping busy and we have some great investigators! There's one family in particular that I really love! The have 3 girls. The oldest girl is my age, and she's about to graduate high school. She already graduated back in her home country, but they put her in school again so she could learn English. The other two girls have lived in the States longer so they have great English. We see them about once or twice a week. They are active Catholics, but love to learn and are willing to change. Yesterday we taught them the Plan of Salvation. The 2nd oldest girl loved learning about the Spirit World and how people will have an opportunity to repent and progress while there.

     There's this wonderful trailer park in Stafford called Foxwood. We spend lots of time there:) In Spanish, they say "TRY-ler" and it's pretty funny:) We taught the Plan of Salvation to a woman named Blanca on her front porch. She was nodding her head and loving all of it. She expressed her desire to go to the Celestial Kingdom. We talked about how we need to act in order to receive what God is willing to give us. She was completely receptive until we invited her to go to church. She wouldn't commit to it, and said she's only go if God puts the desire in her heart. She said that if she woke up Sunday morning and didn't feel like going, that meant that it wasn't God's will for her to go. We were a little bold with explaining that we need to act before we gain faith and desire, but she wouldn't understand it. There are a lot of people like this--they love listening to the Gospel, but once it comes to acting, they don't want any part of it.

     We had Zone Meeting on Friday and I learned so much! And sorry I don't have lots of great missionary stories this week--I've learned a lot and I prefer to share that:)

     One sister shared the story of 2 Nephi 5 and how the Nephites lived "after the manner of happiness." We looked at some of the things that happened at the beginning of the chapter that contributed to their happiness. We talked about how they followed God's commandments, they were industrious, they built a temple, they brought their scriptures, etc. As we discussed all of these things, I received some revelation! In my notebook, I began categorizing all of their actions with the 9 Christlike attributes from Preach My Gospel. I found an action that exemplifies each of the 9 attributes! When we live and apply the Christlike attributes, we will be happy! This is how we can live "after the manner of happiness" because we're living in the same manner that the Savior did. And I imagine that he's pretty happy:) He's sad when we are, yes, but he has a fullness of joy.

     She also talked about some of Nephi's challenges and they compare to the challenges of a missionary:

-Leaving Jerusalem - leaving home
-Eating raw meat - eating gross things at members' homes
-Broken bow - broken bike
-Mean brothers - mean people

-And there are lots more. It's pretty funny and I recommend looking into it more:)

     Hermana Penaloza (who is an Hermana Training Leader) did a training on gratitude. She started with the question, "Why does God command us to be grateful?" To be honest, I never thought about WHY. I just knew it was important to be grateful. Then I received some more revelation:) We learn from Doctrine and Covenants 130 that certain blessings are predicated on obedience to certain commandments. God gives us commandments for our own protection and so that he can bless us when we obey them. Gratitude is one of the most merciful commandments! God has given us everything we have and are. We have oodles of things to be grateful for! When we show gratitude for what we've been given, then He can bless us with more things! It's such an easy commandment with such amazing blessings! Then Hermana Penaloza reminded us to "esmile" :)

     In companionship study the other day, we talked about how Laman and Lemuel kept repenting and then sinning and then repenting again. I had a realization - change is REALLY hard. Why change if we're going to change back only to need to change again? We should just change once to be who God wants us to be, and then endure.

     Anyway, I've just been learning a lot in comp study, personal study, meetings, etc. I feel like I've had an outpouring of revelation in the past few weeks and I love it!

     Yesterday Sacrament meeting was amazing! I started feeling in the morning that I needed to bear my testimony in church. After the first two testimonies were finished, I stood up to move to the front. I did so at the exact same time as Hermana Penaloza (we were sitting on opposite sides of the chapel), an Elder, and about 3 other members! The Spirit was so strong!:) I feel very blessed to be able to speak Spanish now. I'm not completely fluent, but I understand just about everything (except random vocabulary words) and I can say what I want to. It is a privilege to learn a language on my mission, especially Spanish. Preach My Gospel says that God has invested a lot in me!

     Y hay cosas que solamente puedo explicar en espanol. Que siento muy bendecida por esta oportunidad. Estoy agradecida con mi Padre Celestial! Estoy feliz, y amo a mi mision mucho!:)

K I love you! Cuidense:)

Hermanita Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment