Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Friendly Fredericksburg

Hola Familia!

     Last week I forgot to mention the greatest thing ever! After we raked leaves for 4 hours, my back was in SO MUCH PAIN. On Monday before emailing, we finally visited the famous Mormon chiropractor that lives in Fredericksburg! His name is Dr. Brooks and he is AMAZING! He adjusted my back, did some muscle stimulation, and realigned my hips. My injury from my fall 5 months ago was worse than I thought. I had about 3 or 4 vertebrae in my lower back that were basically stuck together. Standing for too long or any type of exercise put a lot of pressure on them. My hips were also misaligned by about 2 or 3 inches. As soon as he said that, I knew he was right! I've been hula dancing in the mornings as exercise, and I could tell that my hips weren't near as flexible as they were in high school. It's not that I'm getting old, it's just that they weren't aligned correctly! Yay! I was in a lot of pain this past week because it was my first ever adjustment, but we went back today and I feel better now.

     A lot of things happened this past week and it all happened super fast!

     Tuesday/Wednesday we had exchanges. I stayed in Fred with Hermana Penaloza. We were able to do some service for Hermana Warren, a member. She is gringa but her husband was from Honduras. (He passed away a few months ago.) She just moved into a smaller house so we did some cleaning and organizing. I really do love this Hermana!:) She chooses to attend the Spanish Branch, even though she can't speak Spanish fluently, because she knows she is needed in the Primary.

     On Wednesday, we painted faces at an easter egg hunt in Wellington Woods! The majority of our investigators and potentials live in this apartment complex. When we heard they were having a party, we asked the office if we could help! Hermana Agurcia and I painted faces while the Elders (Ormond and Steiner) passed out fliers for our free English classes. It was only 50 degrees out, so it wasn't as successful as we had hoped, but we had a lot of fun and all of the kids love us now! The office loves us too, and they want missionaries to come help with a party they're having for the 4th of July! I attached a picture of us missionaries with our poster. The Elders were being kind of weird;) haha.

     Thursday, we helped Diana again (we raked leaves for her last week) with the birthday party of her daughter! (PS the daughter is now 8!) We cooked lots of good Peruvian food and helped decorate and set up. Then she sent us to the Latin Market to buy Inca Kola which is the greatest soda known to mankind. (Yes, I even like it more than Baja Blast!) The birthday party was "One Direction" themed so we heard plenty of them, Taylor Swift, and some Disney artists. By the end of it all, Hermana Agurcia and I were feeling pretty worldly...

     Friday night we had a charla fogonera (fireside) in Stafford for the youth. Dora's teenage daughter attended, so we were able to go! Remember the Launching Leaders fireside I attended in January? We had a mini Launching Leaders fireside directed at the youth. It was taught by Brother Christiansen, who is from Accokeek! He was super happy to see me:) I love that family. Also, I don't think I mentioned this, but three weeks ago we had a youth fireside with Sister Carver, the wife of the Accokeek Ward's Bishop. Did you know I'm attending the same chapel on Sundays? I see all of my Accokeek peeps (including the Fisher family!) every Sunday at church;)
Stafford Branch RS & YW

     On Saturday we had the inaugural English class! Four people attended, including Absalon and Natalia:) The Elders taught this week, and we'll be teaching next week. It was SUPER funny to hear them trying to talk in English. I imagine that's how they feel when they hear me speak in Spanish;) I'm really excited to start teaching. It's a blessing that I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and 3 semesters of Spanish at BYU, because now I know what makes a good language teacher. I am truly grateful for Senora Ericksen, Mr. Taylor, Brother Lopez, Martha, and Senora Robinson:) I would love to earn my teaching license so I could teach Spanish part time in the future.

     Mom is going to die when she reads this. Guess which bug has been nibbling on me? The Genealogy Bug! Seriously I wish you could understand how funny this experience was. Last Sunday, Hermana Torrico came to me after Sacrament Meeting and said she really needed my help. Hermana Agurcia was with Natalia, so I told her we'd meet up later in RS. Hermana Torrico took me to a small class room with another Hermana and started setting up her computer. She then invited me to say a prayer. I had no idea what was going on, so I just prayed that we'd have the Spirit. Then she logged in to familysearch.org and told me to make an account for the other sister. It was SO FUNNY. Hispanics are not very good with computers. They were very confused about usernames, passwords, display names, etc. And then I was very confused about the Spanish, because we were using the site in Spanish and they were talking to me in Spanish. To make it even better, Hermana Torrico forgot the cord and the battery only had a few minutes left. We made the account in time and Hermana Torrico walked me to the Gospel Principles class! (I'm not allowed to be alone.)

     Yesterday, it all happened again. Except this time, there were three other people in the room that needed accounts. I made accounts for two of them, only to find out they already had accounts! Haha:) One Hermana couldn't remember the password to her email so we couldn't activate her account after we made it. I helped one Hermano update his father in his family tree. (Interestingly enough, his father was born on May 19, 1961! But he passed away 12 years ago.) At the end, I went with Hermana Torrico to the ward clerk's room to print some stuff. She remembered that she needed to get the password to access the computer from someone, so she ran out of the room. I looked around a bit, realizing that I was alone, and then stood up to chase after her. It was super funny! I really love Hermana Torrico:) I'm so grateful that I'm able to help these people find their families:) And now I have a stronger desire to do more family history work when I go home!

     For Easter, a recent convert named Hermana Santiago had a HUGE party after church! Absalon and Natalia attended. The food was super good and us missionaries did a little program based on the "Because of Him" promotion by the church. 

     Afterwards, another family had invited us to their home for dinner. Hermano Messinger served his mission in Guatemala and also served in the military stationed all over Central and South America. Hermana Messinger has learned Spanish to support her husband and now they both serve in the ward!:) I wish I could describe how great they are! They live on my dream property! 5+ acres, country styled home, big kitchen, dogs, a horse, fruit trees, garden, huge trees, etc. The food was really yummy and I felt so comfortable being in their home! Hermana Messinger gave us lots of advice about choosing a spouse and raising a family in the Gospel and what not.
     I'm running out of time again, but I'll just tell you the greatest thing in the whole entire world. Absalon and Natalia have decided to be MARRIED and BAPTIZED! On the same day! I'm so excited:) Absalon just LOVED church yesterday. He told us that everyone looked really familiar, as if he'd met them before. Natalia said she can't deny that the Book of Mormon comes from God. Absalon is just itching to go to the temple:) He likes his coffee, but gave it up cold turkey. I am so happy because I know that they are going to be so happy!:)

I love you all so so so much!

Love,  Hermana Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment