Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Yet Another Week in the 'Keek!

Dear beloved ones,

     Tuesday was my half birthday and all of the missionaries met in Richmond (Henrico/Short Pump) to celebrate me....okay, for the Christmas Mission Conference. People gave short talks on attributes of Christ and there were a billion musical numbers. It took over an hour to feed all 250 missionaries, and then the meeting resumed. We had two investigators drive us there and back. On the way home, I just slept in the car because I was exhausted! Sister Olsen and I sang in a group of Sisters and then she played piano for a group of Elders. (I helped turn the pages!)

     At the Conference, the Area Authority Elder Lansing spoke about the decade of decisions. He said that our missions will help us prepare to make important decisions in the future. It hit me really hard that I will hit 20 next June! I remember my 10th birthday! #camptensalotofhaha. My life has changed so much since then, and I can't imagine how different I'll be when I turn 30. I hope that in 10 years the habits I'm building now will pay off!

     On Thursday we went on 24 hour exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders and I was with Sister Stowell. Sister Olsen and Sister George stayed in Accokeek, while Sister Stowell and I worked in the STL's ward, which is Rappahannock YSA. (The ward names here are really cool!) We taught a lesson to a recent convert, helped prepare some things for the Zone activity, had dinner, and delivered gifts to less actives. In the morning we trained on key indicators and making and keeping goals. She helped me begin my own personal constitution! It's still in the works, but I plan on sending it to Dad when I finish so he can help me edit it.
Kayla!!! She came with us to dinner at the RS President's home. We talked about Prophets and gave her a conference address from President Monson. On the drive home, she told us that she wants to be baptized!!!! I AM SO HAPPY!

     We also had a few sad moments with saying goodbye to Christy and Alex. I hope that they'll be receptive to missionaries when they return late January/early February! I made Christy pinky-promise to meet with Sisters:) Transfer calls are Sunday the 29th, so I guess I'll find out whether or not I'll be here for that!

     Stafford is a suburb, so they're aren't a lot of centralized locations for street contacting. In other areas, like Richmond and Fredericksburg, missionaries do "walk and talk" on Saturday afternoons. They spend a few hours walking around parks and busy streets trying to meet people. Sister Olsen and I decided to try it in the middle of the Aventine Apartments complex. It was really successful! We met a few potential investigators for ourselves, for the YSA Sisters, and for the Hermanas! It definitely helped that it was 75 degrees outside! It's about 60 today, but it's raining like crazy.

     Sunday was the fabulous Accokeek Ward Christmas Service! Sister Olsen and I sang in the choir and it was a lot of fun. The conductor, Sister Fellows, is AMAZING! Her husband died a few years ago (similar situation to Katherine Adams) and she has the faith to move mountains. And the voice of Karen Carpenter. (It doesn't sound like Karen's, but it's that good.) We sang "O Come O Come Emmanuel" which is now one of my favorites:)

     I love you all more than words:) Thank you for all of your letters and emails! I got the sweetest card from Grandma Kelsey this week! Shout out to the Nephites! Also, I forgot to mention last week: Congratulations to one of my best friends, Jenna Marsden, for getting married in the Manti Temple!!! Her sister Kim was also married about a week later:) I'm super happy for both of them! What beautiful ladies:)
     President Monson said, "This joyful season brings to all of us a measure of happiness that corresponds to the degree to which we have turned our minds, feelings, and actions to the Savior, whose birth we celebrate."

     I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior! I know that we celebrate His birth because of His life. Christ lived a perfect life and performed a perfect Atonement so that we could return to live with our Father and to live like our Father. God has a plan for our lives. He loves us so much that He gave us His Son! I know that if we spend our Christmas truly celebrating Christ, then we will come to understand His grace and love for us. I'm grateful for the opportunity I've been blessed with to share His love with His children. I miss my family, but I have so much family here, too! The good news of the Gospel is that Christ lives still.

Merry Christmas!

Love, Sister Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment