Friday, October 4, 2013

I Love the MTC:)

Had to get a Famous "MAP" Picture!
     I know you all want to know what I'm struggling with. To be completely honest, I almost feel guilty that I haven't had any emotional issues while here! A lot of girls cry, and even the girls in my district have been overwhelmed. The MTC is much easier than I thought it would be. I love school, and I love the Gospel. The three hour classes go by quickly. I do a great job of staying on task during personal study. I love love love teaching. I have enough energy to make it through the day and I rarely feel homesick. My love for my family has more than doubled, but I know that I'm here for a reason. Hearing from them once or twice a week is enough to keep me going.

Sister Moore & Sister Crandall
     So here's what has been hard: my companion. Sister Moore and I get along really well, and we have great communication. However, we tend to be late to almost everything. I think a part of obedience is being on time to class. We always walk in after the teacher closes the door or when opening exercises have begun. It's been hard on me. I remind her often that I want to be on time, but nothing changes. We're late to meals, classes, zone teaching, devotionals, etc. She and another set of sisters in my district/dorm stay up late giggling and chatting after the lights are out. Between 10:15 and 10:30 is our "quiet time," which is supposed to mellow us out before bed, but it doesn't work. That's where I've been struggling. 

     I'm so ready to be mature and grown up and quiet and dignified, but a lot of the girls here see this as a big slumber party. I love Sister Moore so so much, but I wish we were more obedient as a companionship. I think that would improve our learning greatly. At the end of the day, that's the only thing I regret.

     ANYWAY, teachers here are really good at role playing. They will pretend to be an investigator and we teach them as often as we'd like. Brother Mitsvotai plays Lee, and they are completely different people! Sister Moore and I are teaching Lee. He's a doctor who was recently divorced and is now dating a Mormon woman. He's been baptized into a few churches and really wants to know what makes our church different. He's very receptive to our message and often takes notes. He said he'll be baptized if he comes to know that our church is the true church. Lee is our main investigator. We also teach Carmelo and Ivelisse. With Ivelisse, I was able to bear my testimony in Spanish to her (she's from Venezuela). I could tell that it was really meaningful to her. I LOVE THAT. I know that I will have opportunities to use my Spanish language skills when I enter the field.

     Brother Mitsvotai is our afternoon teacher, and Brother Heath teaches in the morning. (We have two three-hour classes every day.) Brother Heath taught the most amazing lesson! We don't just want investigators to know the Book of Mormon is true. Lots of people who are not members of our church know that the Book of Mormon is true. Even the devil knows that the Book of Mormon is true! Having a testimony of the Book of Mormon is true is not enough. We need to know how to USE the Book of Mormon. That is real conversion. In other words, we need to know how to apply its teachings and how to receive personal revelation from it. 

The BEST District!
     My scriptures are away in my classroom, but there's one in Moses 3 (or maybe 5) that talks about how God created all things spiritually before they were created here on the earth naturally. A sister from my district had a really neat insight. My investigators were someone spiritually, and now they are here naturally. They have become who they were supposed to become. Am I fulfilling the measure of my creation? Have I become who I need to become in order to bring them back to the Kingdom? So cool.

     Yesterday (Thursday) was in-field orientation. Instead of having regular classes, we had a big combined devotional/breakout sessions with all of the missionaries entering the field next week. There were over 450 of us! We learned about how to use our planner, area book, and how to work with members. The brother in charge shared a story about how--when he was 5--he was trying to impress the missionaries when they came over for dinner. It reminded me of a story of my own!

     When we lived in Aliso Viejo, I remember elders coming to visit Mom. They were downstairs in the front room. I went onto the loft/bridge that overlooked the front room. I pulled out all of my coolest toys and put them on display, hoping to impress the missionaries. It's interesting now to be on the other side--to be the missionary! I never want to let down the children who look up to me. I never want to disgrace the honor of being a representative of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to be a missionary at this time when the Lord is hastening His work. We are living Jacob 5!!! I have never been happier before in my entire life! Missionary work is urgent, important, and TRUE. 

     I testify that "the field is white, already to harvest." This applies to all missions, everywhere. Even for the people who serve in Scotland or South Dakota or Japan, the field is white. The scriptures say that phrase 52 times! God really means it. I'm so grateful that my field is in the beautiful state of Virginia. I will be flying out Wednesday morning with about 25 other missionaries to Richmond. 

     Thank you so much, my dearest family and friends, for your love and support while I've been here in the MTC. I appreciate all of the prayers. I have truly felt lifted. Because I'll be leaving soon, please don't send any letters because they probably won't make it in time. My next P-day will likely be Monday October 14th while in the field! However, my Mission President (Wilson) will probably send a notice that I've arrived safely.

Love, Sister Crandall

No comments:

Post a Comment